Friday, January 29, 2010

TIMES ARE A'CHANGING-FAST!

From today's Publisher's Marketplace:

Bezos Admits to "Millions" of Kindles, As Amazon Grows 42 Percent
In reporting, Jeff Bezos finally mentioned something involving numbers with respect to Kindles, which are now owned by "millions of people." And ratio of Kindle sales to print sales continues to grow: "when we have both editions, we sell 6 Kindle books for every 10 physical books." Bezos even indicated specifically, "this is year-to-date and includes only paid books -- free Kindle books would make the number even higher."

Amazon reported a huge fourth quarter, with sales of $9.52 billion, 42 percent higher than a year ago. Net income rose even more, up 71 percent at $384 million. North American media sales rose 20 percent, to $2.099 billion for the quarter, now far outpaced by international media sales, which jumped 37 percent to $2.58 billion. For the full year, North American media sales were $5.964 billion, while international media sales hit $5.734 billion.
Release

In NYC for the SCBWI Conference and editor meetings so gotta run....but my head is spinning with all the repercussions for our industry.

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting...maybe they'll lower the cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my Kindle for almost a year now and while at first I felt a bit like a traitor (abandoning my love of books for technology) but I can honestly say that not only have I bought MORE books, but I have discovered and become of fan of authors I would have never even encountered without my little bookstore in the palm of my hand. I do have concerns about losing our independant bookstores in the area so I also try to support them as much as possible. The method is definately changing, hopefully for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Kindle owner and I'll have to say I buy MORE books with the Kindle. This is good news for authors. Because the price is cheaper and the ease of sale is quicker, I believe overall, the e-book will make the author more money. BUT our friendly agents need to keep hold of the e-rights and not give them away so cheaply!!! Publishers are being very grabby about them these days and it's ridiculous with hardly any overhead in creating them.

    A change needs to occur in the contracts. I hope agents are talking about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would NOT buy a kindle but have to admit the new iPad coming out is tempting. I want to do more then just read with anything in the $400 plus price range and since Apple's tablet can be many other things, including a portfolio and a mini lap top for projection during school and library presentations, I think this is the reader for me.
    I still do believe publishers shouldn't allow release of their books in e format until they release the paper back editions of their hardcover books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy WAY more books with the kindle because the price is lower and the delivery is instantaneous -- I hear about a book and buy it and read it. I have shelves and shelves of books at home that are terribly overloaded. I love buying books without the guilt of trying to figure out where to put them, too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner